Sunday, December 08, 2013

We have a funny paradox and that is, how could you want something and feel bad for wanting it at the same time? If you wanted something then surely it should be because it is the most liberating choice, but yet we know this can be a contradiction. We have the ability to feel good and bad for the same choices we make. 

 One argument is that we have rational morality, or perhaps fear of justice and unknown consequences, but another which I feel accounts better for what is happening is that we have two distinct natures, one of the flesh, and one of the spirit. 

What this means to me, is that we are able to desire at an emotional level, and at a spiritual level. It means that we can desire things that will be gratifying in ways to the mind and body, and we also desire an order that is selfless. 

"For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me" (Romans 7:14-17, New Revised Standard Version).

One interpretation of this verse is that we fall under the laws of God, laws that are spiritual which we know are good. However we also fall to the nature of sin, and we do things that we do not want, sometimes unintentionally. 

Are our bodies and souls are governed by laws set by God? We are painfully aware of most of the laws that our physical bodies obey but how well do we know the relationship of our souls and God’s laws?


We have many questions concerning relationships, that of marriage and love. What is the purpose of marriage? Is it necessary? Are there exceptions to the model of marriage as proposed to be set by God as interpreted by people of various faiths? Which model is correct, is there is a correct one?
Can a husband have multiple partners? Can siblings marry? Can father and daughter find completion in marriage? Can two people of the same gender find goodness in a union such as marriage? If not, should there be sexual intimacy between any of them?
We all have different confidence in what is good, and just because one is good or bad does not necessarily mean the other is of the same nature. I say this to open one to the possibility of moral laws governing the nature of relationships between humans.
So are there moral laws governing our souls? Are the parts of our souls equal and do they all facilitate every kind of relationship with each other?  Is sexual intimacy matched to certain degrees of relationships?
Is gender something that is really just physical? If there was a button that we could press to decide the physical gender of our unborn child, how confident are we in choosing a gender?

Is it intervention or interference when someone objects to homosexual marriage? How certain are we that a certain model of relationship and sexual intimacy will turn out to be good?
If I could, I would survey the world and ask each of us how good our relationships were.  When I say good I don’t mean, passion or happiness at an emotional level. I simply mean a confidence in knowing that it is good.  
Those who object to certain modes of sexual intimacy and relationships don’t do so because they are necessarily prejudiced or are following a verse in a bible but simply because they have asked questions that have led them to a believe with most confidence that certain modes of relationships and sexual intimacy are good for the person while others are not.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home